posted Jan 24, 2015, 6:56 PM by St. Nicholas Church School Ann Arbor Michigan
updated Jan 24, 2015, 7:42 PM
On Sunday, March 9, 2014, we celebrate Sunday of
All Church School students will participate
in a special procession that brings icons back into the Church.
Church School students in Grades 1-12 will bring an icon from
home to carry during the procession.
Our Church School will supply our
younger students in Preschool and Kindergarten with paper icons
to prevent possible accidents. The Church School office has
extra paper icons for this purpose.
After Holy Communion our Church School students should go to
their classrooms as we do every Sunday.
Teachers will describe the procession and get the students ready. Students should hold icons up at chest level with both hands and with proper respect.
- Church School students will enter the church and start the
procession right after the passing of the tray. This means
that the procession of icons will take place after Holy
Communion and before the final dismissal at the end of the
- Directors will let each classroom know when to line up in the
corridor in preparation to enter the Church.
- Directors will also let the procession know when to enter the
Church depending on when Fr. Nick is ready.
- Fr. Nick would like the order of the procession this year
to be different from last year.
- Students and teachers will line up with the older children
in front. Younger students will follow.
- VERY IMPORTANT: Students should line up and walk *in
pairs*. Otherwise, the procession line becomes so long that
it does not fit inside the church. This can be a problem.
- Dani Nadra (if available) will be in front to lead the
procession. (Thanks Dani!)
- IMPORTANT: The final order of the procession will be: Dani
(in the front), Church School students, altar boys, Fr.
Nick (in the back).
- At the start of the procession our students will enter the
church from the narthex through the right door.
- They will walk towards the solea down the right
middle-aisle (on the social hall side).
- They will make a left turn right after the front pews and walk
in front of the solea
- They will make a left turn and walk back towards the
narthex through the middle-aisle on the parking lot side.
- They will make a left turn behind the pews and continue
walking to complete a great circle.
- Church School students will turn left and enter the right middle-aisle
(again) and continue walking so as to allow room behind them
for the altar boys to join the procession.
- The altar boys will exit through the left altar door and
join the procession *behind* the church school students.
- Fr. Nick will join the procession last.
- The whole procession will continue walking until Fr. Nick
is half-way down the middle-aisle (on the parking lot side)
where he will stop for the first petition.
- Fr. Nick will stop four times for petitions:
- (a) halfway down the middle-aisle (on the parking lot
- (b) in front of the center doors (from the narthex to
the church) (*),
- (c) halfway up the middle-aisle (on the social hall
side), and then
- (d) on the solea.
- (*) IMPORTANT: After we say the petitions at the second stop
(at the center doors from the narthex to the church) and
start walking again, *all* Church School students should
proceed *directly* onto the solea. Teachers should help
organize the students by height so they will face the
congregation and be ready for the fourth petitions on the
- Students will stay on the solea until the service is
At the end of the service Fr. Nick will direct the students
to return to their classrooms to resume classes.
There should be 30-40 minutes of class time available.